By Perks |
Twitter? What’s that?
If you are asking yourself this question then you must have been living under a rock for the past few months. But that’s okay – we’ll get you up to speed and no one will ever know your recent abode.
Twitter is THE new social media tool about today. I know I know, “there is always some latest fad that won’t last”… but Twitter is different. Honestly. It’s growing at a rate much faster than Facebook (gasp!) and is proving rather profitable to many brands in the business world. So pay ‘attweetion’ (ha) here’s a quick “Twictionary” 101:
1. Tweeps = Members of Twitter
2. Tweets = The sentences (or “micro-blogs”) you write that can be no longer that 140 characters long
3. Tweetup = An event created through Twitter
4. Twerd = A Twitter Nerd
Okay – so now you know the lingo, how do you actually use the site? Here are a few basics:
1. Twitter – A site dedicated to micro-blogging that resembles the “Status update” of Facebook
2. Followers – People who have asked to be your friend on Twitter that, once accepted by you, can read your tweets on your profile
3. Following – People you are friends with of whom you can read their tweets on their profile
4. D – The symbol used to “Direct Message” a follower, allowing them to read your message but no-one else
5. RT – The symbol used to “Re-Tweet” a tweet on your profile that you copied from someone else’s profile
6. @[enter followers name] - The symbol used to reference a re-tweet (see above) or to reply to a particular follower’s tweet.
So there you have it – everything you need to know about Twitter from a functionality point of view. Check out our next post where we’ll give you the low down on how Twitter can be used to optimize your brand…